Topic: Strategies for Diabetes Management and Community-Based Programs that Support Diabetes Care
Date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
This Medication Safety(LAN) Event was open to:
- Patients and Patient Advocates interested in medication management
- Pharmacy professionals interested in supporting medication management
- Members of improvement collaboratives interested in deploying medication management and community strategies to support management.
Diabetes is a chronic condition that can lead to significant morbidity. Effective management of diabetes often requires a strong partnership between patients, their caregivers, and their healthcare providers to help patients understand the complexity of diabetes itself and the often complex medication regimen required to effectively manage the disease. This event showcased a patient who is successfully managing his diabetes. The patient highlighted the challenges he faces in diabetes management and the complexity of his medication regiment and surfaced strategies that he uses to successfully manage diabetes medications in partnership with providers and other community resources. Other community based programs were highlighted to showcase resources that patients can access to successfully manage diabetes.
Access the agenda here.
Access the presentation slides here.
- Showcase effective management practices in the management of diabetes.
- Identify community based programs designed to help patients with diabetes management.
Meet the Speakers:
- Zandra M. Glenn, PharmD, Project Patient Care
- Steven Chen, PharmD, FASHP, FCSHP, FNAP
- Michael Metcalf, Beneficiary
- Dennis Ho, PharmD, MTM Community-based Center for Diabetes
- Michelle Lee Chu, PharmD, Clinical Pharmacy Technician Program
- Sahar Dagher, PharmD, Video Telehealth Services
- Lord Sarino, PharmD, Ralph's Pharmacy Program
- Anita Thomas, PharmD, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Continuing Education Credit is Now Offered!
Instructions for Obtaining CE
- Attend the entire event
- Complete the evaluation that will pop up at the conclusion of the event
- There is a separate evaluation required for CE that will load in your browser following completion of the general evaluation
- Once you submit your CE evaluation, you will be provided with a certificate to retain for your records
- For technical assistance, please email Nikki Racelis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you have questions about the accreditation of this activity, please email AKH Inc. at email@example.com.
Full CE Statements
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare, CRW & Associates and Telligen. AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NCCPA accepts AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME.
AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare approves this knowledge-based activity for 1.0 contact hour (0.1 CEU). UAN 0077-9999-16-094-L04-P; UAN 0077-9999-16-094-L04-T. Initial Release Date: 10/27/2016
AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This activity is awarded 1.0 contact hour.
AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as an approved provider of nurse practitioner continuing education. Provider Number: 030803.
This program is accredited for 1.0 contact hour which includes 0 hours of pharmacology. Program ID #21610-7.
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies and AANP Commercial Support Standard
AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Accredited Provider with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Registered dietitians (RDs) and dietetic technicians, registered (DTRs) will receive 1.0 continuing professional education unit (CPEU) for completion of this program/material. CDR Accredited Provider #AN008. The focus of this activity is rated Level 2. Learners may submit evaluations of program/materials quality to the CDR at www.cdrnet.org.
Disclosure of Financial Relationships & Commercial Support
The faculty below do not have any relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- Steven W. Chen, PharmD, FASHP, FCSHP, FNAP
- Michelle Chu, PharmD, CDE, BCACP
- Sahar A. Dagher, PharmD
- Zandra Glenn PharmD
- Dennis Ho, PharmD
- Kevin M. Key
- Lord Sarino, PharmD
- Anita Thomas PharmD
- AKH Inc. , CRW & Associates and Telligen do not have any relevant financial relationships to disclose.
- No commercial support was received for this activity.
It is the policy of AKH Inc. to ensure independence, balance, objectivity, scientific rigor, and integrity in all of its continuing education activities. The author must disclose to the participants any significant relationships with commercial interests whose products or devices may be mentioned in the activity or with the commercial supporter of this continuing education activity. Identified conflicts of interest are resolved by AKH prior to accreditation of the activity and may include any of or combination of the following: attestation to non-commercial content; notification of independent and certified CME/CE expectations; referral to National Author Initiative training; restriction of topic area or content; restriction to discussion of science only; amendment of content to eliminate discussion of device or technique; use of other author for discussion of recommendations; independent review against criteria ensuring evidence support recommendation; moderator review; and peer review.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use and Investigational Product
This educational activity may include discussion of uses of agents that are investigational and/or unapproved by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
This course is designed solely to provide the healthcare professional with information to assist in his/her practice and professional development and is not to be considered a diagnostic tool to replace professional advice or treatment. The course serves as a general guide to the healthcare professional, and therefore, cannot be considered as giving legal, nursing, medical, or other professional advice in specific cases. AKH Inc. specifically disclaim responsibility for any adverse consequences resulting directly or indirectly from information in the course, for undetected error, or through participant's misunderstanding of the content.