Topic: Strategies for Diabetes Management and Community-Based Programs that Support Diabetes Care
Date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
This Medication Safety(LAN) Event was open to:
- Patients and Patient Advocates interested in medication management
- Pharmacy professionals interested in supporting medication management
- Members of improvement collaboratives interested in deploying medication management and community strategies to support management.
Diabetes is a chronic condition that can lead to significant morbidity. Effective management of diabetes often requires a strong partnership between patients, their caregivers, and their healthcare providers to help patients understand the complexity of diabetes itself and the often complex medication regimen required to effectively manage the disease. This event showcased a patient who is successfully managing his diabetes. The patient highlighted the challenges he faces in diabetes management and the complexity of his medication regiment and surfaced strategies that he uses to successfully manage diabetes medications in partnership with providers and other community resources. Other community based programs were highlighted to showcase resources that patients can access to successfully manage diabetes.
Access the agenda here.
- Showcase effective management practices in the management of diabetes.
- Identify community based programs designed to help patients with diabetes management.
Access the presentation slides here.
Meet the Speakers:
- Zandra M. Glenn, PharmD, Project Patient Care
- Steven Chen, PharmD, FASHP, FCSHP, FNAP
- Michael Metcalf, Beneficiary
- Dennis Ho, PharmD, MTM Community-based Center for Diabetes
- Michelle Lee Chu, PharmD, Clinical Pharmacy Technician Program
- Sahar Dagher, PharmD, Video Telehealth Services
- Lord Sarino, PharmD, Ralph's Pharmacy Program
- Anita Thomas, PharmD, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services