Topic: Community Health Initiatives for Health Equity
Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2017
This event was open to beneficiaries, families, health care providers, practitioners, partners and Quality Innovation Network-Quality Improvement Organizations (QIN-QIOs).
This event focused on strategies to help health care organizations and communities achieve health equity by aligning with the CMS Quality Strategy goal to work with communities to promote best practices of healthy living. Click here for the event flyer.
- Define health equity and understand its impact on patients, providers, and communities.
- Describe how the IHI “Achieving Health Equity” framework can help organizations and communities achieve health equity.
- Describe how the Community Preventive Services Task Force (CPSTF) supports healthy communities.
- List at least two CPSTF recommendations that can help health care organizations to further health equity and support healthy communities.
Slides & Recorded Presentation:
Meet the Speakers:
Melissa Dorsey, MHA
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Ronald Wyatt, MD, MHA
Hamad Healthcare Quality Institute
Doug Campos-Outcalt, MD, MPA
Community Preventive Services Task Force
Pre-Work & Supplemental Resources:
IHI White Paper: Achieving Health Equity: A Guide for Health Care Organizations
- Wyatt R, Laderman M, Botwinick L, Mate K, Whittington J. Achieving Health Equity: A Guide for Health Care Organizations. IHI White Paper. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2016.
- Available at ihi.org
- CPSTF’s The Community Guide
- CPSTF Summary Table of Recommendations Relevant to QIN-QIOs
- Mountain Pacific – HI Resources (Source: Leticia Wilson, RN, Diabetes Educator, Mountain-Pacific Quality Health)
A Practical Guide to Implementing the National CLAS Standards
- Prepared by National Committee for Quality Assurance
- Bite-Sized Learning: Achieving Health Equity
- Bite-Sized Learning: How Does Unconscious Bias Work in Everyday Life
- Bite-Sized Learning: Inequities Are Harm