File a Complaint
Beneficiary and Family Centered Care-QIOs (BFCC-QIOs) can help when you have a concern about the quality of the medical care you are receiving from a healthcare facility or professional. You can file a formal Medicare complaint through your BFCC-QIO.
Examples of quality of care concerns include but are not limited to:
- Receiving the wrong medication
- Receiving an overdose of medication
- Receiving unnecessary surgery
- Receiving unnecessary diagnostic testing
- Experiencing a change in condition that was not treated
- Receiving a misdiagnosis
- Receiving inadequate discharge instructions
A Medicare beneficiary can contact their BFCC-QIO if he or she:
- Needs to discuss the quality of care received;
- Wants to file a formal quality-of-care complaint; or
- Needs help understanding Medicare rights.
A beneficiary can call 1-800-MEDICARE if he or she:
- Has general questions about Medicare coverage
- Needs clarification on how to enroll in Medicare
- Wishes to discuss billing issues.
Trained staff is available to provide:
- Answers to your questions about complaints and the filing process
- Assistance with completing the Quality of Care Complaint Form
- Translation services
You or your representative may contact your BFCC-QIO to have a Medicare quality of care complaint form sent to you by mail. Or you can access the Medicare quality of care complaint form online. Please complete and sign the form and mail or fax it to your BFCC-QIO.
There are several ways to submit a complaint form. First, find your state’s BFCC-QIO by using our interactive map or checking the list below.
You can submit your complaint using any of the following methods:
Mail: Download and print a Quality- of- Care Complaint form in English or Spanish, and mail it to your BFCC-QIO’s address.
Fax: Download and print a Quality of Care Complaint form in English or Spanish, and fax it to your BFCC-QIO’s fax number.
You can learn more about filing a complaint on Medicare.gov.
BFCC-QIO Contact Information by Region or State
Northeast and Caribbean:
Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, Vermont
Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia
Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wyoming
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin
Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington