Comprehensive National Nursing Home Training
Fast-Track Infection Prevention and Control Training for Nursing Homes Located in COVID-19 Hotspots
Audience: This training was open to nursing home leaders, clinical and administrative staff members and others interested in nursing home infection prevention in areas with renewed COVID-19 outbreaks.
Comprehensive National Nursing Home Training offers intensive, fast-track instruction on infection prevention and control tailored to nursing homes located in areas with increasing COVID-19 infection rates.
Establishing an Infection Prevention Program and Conducting Ongoing Infection Surveillance in the Nursing Home
- Participants will learn to identify the basic components of an infection prevention program in the nursing home setting; describe the best-practice strategies needed to establish a program; and understand the key elements necessary for ongoing infection prevention surveillance.
Implementation Strategies for COVID-19 Surveillance and Early Detection
- Participants will learn the operational aspects of screening, testing and early detection and surveillance for residents and staff from the provider perspective. The training focus is on process and implementation.
Cohorting: Effective Management of Residents and Staff
- An overview of cohorting guidelines and strategies that can be used as part of a facility’s infection control and prevention program will be provided. Training will cover a multi-disciplinary approach to cohorting, including staffing considerations, the role of environmental services, personal protective equipment (PPE) resources and bed management. The training will include cohorting strategies related to COVID-19 and lessons learned from the field.
Clinical Care: Managing COVID-Positive Residents
- The clinical management of COVID-positive and presumed COVID-positive residents requires understanding the various disease trajectories and having appropriate plans of care in place that align with each residents’ goals and preferences. It also requires working with medical directors and clinicians to have the needed medications and other treatments available. The key considerations for the clinical management of COVID-positive and presumed COVID- positive residents will be reviewed.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Strategies for COVID Care
- Participants will understand why using personal protective equipment (PPE) is necessary for infection prevention and will be able to describe how to properly use it. Additionally, participants will learn how to use an audit tool for tracking compliance in proper use of PPE. An auditing tool will be shared with participants. Lastly, we will share promising practices and strategies for PPE supply and proper use.
Health Services Advisory Group
Health Quality Innovators (HQI)
Chief Data Officer
TMF Quality Innovation Network
Watch the July 8, 2020 Recording:
Watch the July 10, 2020 Recording:
Watch the July 14, 2020 Recording:
Watch the July 17, 2020 Recording:
Watch the July 21, 2020 Recording:
Questions: Please direct any questions to The Bizzell Group at email@example.com