Striving for an error-free environment, even under complex and chaotic circumstances, is key to patient safety. High-reliability organizations are often characterized by their ability to achieve and maintain exemplary levels of safety despite inherent risks. Complementary to instituting high-reliability principles is the adoption of the just culture model, which addresses system fallibility.
By the end of this event, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of human factors and resiliency engineering in high-reliability organizing;
- Review core just culture and high-reliability principles and how they support and align with each other to drive organizational culture and outcomes;
- Apply the lessons of just culture and high-reliability principles to building and embedding a culture of psychological safety, resilience, justice and generative learning;
- Understand the role of hospital leadership in becoming a high-reliability organization;
- Evaluate opportunities to impact patient safety utilizing HRO principles; and
- Apply concepts to unit-specific quality improvement work and ensure sustainability across the whole organization.
1) Craig Clapper, PE, CRE, Founder and Chief Knowledge Officer, Reliability 4 Life
2) Mary Reich Cooper, MD, JD, Program Director, Healthcare Quality and Safety and Operational Excellence, Associate Professor, Population Health, Jefferson College of Population Health, Thomas Jefferson University
3) Lesli Giglio, RN, MPA, CPHRM, CHPC, CPPS, Senior Vice President, Chief Risk Officer and Chief Privacy Officer, Catholic Health (Long Island)
4) Oren Guttman, MD, MBA, Edward Asplundh Chief Quality and Patient Safety Officer, Jefferson Abington Health, Enterprise Vice President for High Reliability and Patient Safety, Jefferson Health, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Sidney Kimmel Medical College
5) Stephen G. Jones, MD, Senior Advisor and Chief Medical Officer, The Just Culture Company
6) Chhavi Katyal, MD, MBA, MS, FCCM, Senior Vice President, System Chief Quality Officer and System Chief Patient Experience Officer, Catholic Health (Long Island)