Topic: Understanding the 2017 National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2018
This event was open to beneficiaries, families, health care providers, practitioners, partners, and Quality Innovation Network-Quality Improvement Organizations.
Are you interested in achieving or renewing your American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) accreditation or American Diabetes Association (ADA) recognition for diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) services? Do you have questions about the standards, submission requirements, or even where to begin? Join us to hear each of the standards from AADE’s accreditation director and ADA’s recognition director and to get your questions answered.
- Identify the initial and annual requirements for ADA recognition or AADE accreditation of diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) services.
- Be able to set an action plan to transition to an ADA recognized or AADE accredited DSMES service.
- List the annual requirements of professional and paraprofessional DSMES team members.
- List three ADA and three AADE resources that assist DSMES services in meeting and maintaining recognition or accreditation.
- Describe the difference between a DSMES behavioral goal and a diabetes self-management support plan.
Slides & Recorded Presentation:
Meet the Speakers:
Jodi Lavin-Tompkins, MSN, RN, CDE, BC-ADM
Director of Accreditation
American Association of Diabetes Educators
Uzma Quraishi, MS, RD
Associate Director, Education Recognition Program
American Diabetes Association
- 2017 National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education and Support: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/early/2017/07/26/dci17-0025.full.pdf
- CDC 1815 Corporative Agreement: Improving the Health of Americans Through Prevention and Management of Diabetes and Heart Disease and Stroke: https://www.cdc.gov/rfa-dp18-1815/files/Script_1815-Eligibility-Call_04-23-18-508.pdf
- ADA Quality Coordinator Guide: https://professional.diabetes.org/sites/professional.diabetes.org/files/media/1._10th_edition-erp_quality_coordinator_guide-print-final-05-1-18.pdf
- ADA Monthly Q and A calls: http://main.diabetes.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ERPQACallSubmission
- ADA Review Criteria and Indicators Guidance: https://professional.diabetes.org/sites/professional.diabetes.org/files/media/10th_edition_review_criteria_final.pdf
- ADA Benefits of Recognition: https://professional.diabetes.org/content-page/benefits-education-recognition
- ADA Free Online CEUs: https://ada.healthmonix.com/
- ADA DSMES Cycle: https://professional.diabetes.org/sites/professional.diabetes.org/files/media/std_7_dsme_cycle_with_stds.2017.pdf
- ADA Chart Review Form: https://professional.diabetes.org/sites/professional.diabetes.org/files/media/std_7.8.9-chart_review_form_10th_edition.pdf
- Outlines for each standard on the AADE website:
- Standard 1 - Internal Structure
- Standard 2 - Stakeholder Input
- Standard 3 - Evaluation of Population Served
- Standard 4 - Quality Coordinator Overseeing DSMES Services
- Standard 5 - DSMES Team
- Standard 6 - Curriculum
- Standard 7 - Individualization
- Standard 8 - Ongoing Support
- Standard 9 - Participant Progress
- Standard 10 - Quality Improvement