Beneficiary and Family Centered Care Quality Improvement Organizations (BFCC-QIOs) can help when you have a concern about the quality of the medical care you are receiving from a health care facility (e.g. hospital, nursing home, or home health agency) or professional. You can file a formal Medicare complaint through your BFCC-QIO.
Examples of quality of care concerns include but are not limited to:
- Receiving the wrong medication
- Receiving an overdose of medication
- Receiving unnecessary surgery
- Receiving unnecessary diagnostic testing
- Experiencing a change in condition that was not treated
- Receiving a misdiagnosis
- Receiving inadequate discharge instructions
A Medicare beneficiary can contact his or her BFCC-QIO if he or she:
- Needs to discuss the quality of care received;
- Wants to file a formal quality of care complaint; or
- Needs help to understand his or her Medicare rights.
A beneficiary can call 1-800-MEDICARE if he or she:
- Has general questions about Medicare coverage
- Needs clarification on how to enroll in Medicare
- Wishes to discuss billing issues.
Trained staff is available to provide:
- Answers to your questions about complaints and the filing process
- Assistance with completing the Quality of Care Complaint Form
- Translation services
You or your representative may contact your BFCC-QIO to have a Medicare quality of care complaint form sent to you by mail. Or you can access the Medicare quality of care complaint form online. You can find your state’s BFCC-QIO by checking the list below.
You can submit your complaint by mail or fax (emailed forms can not be accepted):
Mail: Download the Medicare quality of care complaint form, complete and mail to your BFCC-QIO’s address.
Fax: Download the Medicare quality of care complaint form, complete and fax to your BFCC-QIO’s fax number.
You can learn more about filing a complaint on Medicare.gov.
BFCC-QIO Contact Information by Region or State
Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
Delaware, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska
Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Guam, N. Mariana Islands, American Samoa
Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington